I have several different, but not opposing, goals for these “Readings for the Resistance” roundups. Some of the posts and articles I’ll share are practical–they advise or offer support. Some are analytical–they provide background and context for recent events. They’re stories I found thought-provoking, or provocative (not necessarily the same thing), or perspective-shifting.
I collect more links over the course of a week than I include in these posts. And there are links I don’t save for these posts at all–if they’re addressing what’s literally the “news of the day,” they go out on social media and don’t wait for this.
Sometimes it’s hard to remember that things have only been like this for a little over two weeks.
Because it’s important to try to understand who we’re dealing with…
- How Donald Trump Could Build an Autocracy in the U.S. – The Atlantic
- Donald Trump, Steve Bannon and the Crisis in American Life | Time.com
- Can Donald Trump Handle the Truth? – The New York Times (editorial)
- Does Donald Trump’s Personality Make Him Dangerous? | The Report | US News
Because who we are as a people and a nation is being redefined daily…
- Immigrant Shock: Can California Predict the Nation’s Future? – The New York Times
- ‘I can see the fear’: multicultural Los Angeles senses a different world under Trump – LA Times
- Melania Trump & the Sexist Role of First Lady | The Mary Sue
- Ignorance and Propaganda Are a Threat to American Institutions. Can Our Schools Save Us? – Slate
- Easily-Triggered Privileged People Have Turned Society Into Their Own Giant Safe Space – The Establishment
- Connecticut residents squirm over white privilege essay contest » MobyLives
And because we’re trying to cope and resist and roll with all this without wearing ourselves out too soon…
- We Can’t Keep Going Like This Or We Will All Be Hospitalized by Spring – Medium (Cecily Kellogg)
- How to Avoid Being Psychologically Destroyed by Your Newsfeed — Parenting Through the Storm
“We’re worried that the discrimination, lies, violence, racism, misogyny, fascism, overstepping authority, embarrassing statements, threats, bans, white supremacy, dismantling the system, and belligerence are the New Normal. They’re not, though. They’re the New Temporary. As the New Temporary they’re truly disgusting, but they’ll only become the New Normal if we stop fighting and working and pushing as hard as we can.
“The real New Normal here is who we’re becoming in the middle of this.
“Who are you now that you weren’t on November 7? I bet you have more layers, more resilience, more compassion, more strength, and better boundaries now than you did then.”
How’s your normal?