Following up the “15 Books That Will Always Stick With You” meme (I posted mine in a TBIF/Booking Through Thursday response in June), it’s time to go to the movies! The rules: Don’t take too long to think about it. Fifteen movies you’ve seen that will always stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes.
Both my husband and my sister tagged me for this on Facebook, but they know I’m answering it here instead (although my posts do feed over there too, so maybe they’ll let it count).
These movies are in no particular order of preference (except for the first one), and they may seem like an odd mix, but they’re all movies that have stuck in my memory – and mostly for good reasons.
- The Princess Bride 1 (and if you didn’t already know where this movie would be on my list…clearly, we have never met before)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring/The Return of the King (slight cheat, but not as much as if I’d listed all three of them!) (Besides, The Two Towers honestly isn’t as “sticky” for me, so it wouldn’t be fair to include it)
- Star Wars (or, as we are forced to refer to it today, Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope – but having seen it in a theater during its original release when I was 13, it will always be “the first one” to me)
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (because I still want to name a dog Indiana – and because this should have stayed “the last one”)
- The Blues Brothers1
- A Christmas Story1, 2
- The Wizard of Oz (to be honest, I haven’t watched it in years – but I watched it so many times as a kid that it’s ingrained, and I’m not sure I have to see it again)
- Casablanca (my favorite “classic” movie, and my husband’s all-time favorite movie, period; we watched it again earlier this summer, and they really don’t make ’em like that any more)
- Some Like It Hot (and I like it very funny)
- Little Shop of Horrors (the musical version)1
- Almost Famous (if I have to choose a top-favorite film of the last ten years, it’s this one – great story, great music, great heart)
- Titanic (everyone should get to include a “don’t judge me” item on a list like this – this one’s mine)
- Breaking Away (this one’s for my sister – it was on her list too)
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail1
The first two movies on the list were even part of Tall Paul’s and my wedding reception:
All of the tables had names instead of numbers, and the names were those of famous movie and TV couples. We kept this one for our own table.
Bilbo and Frodo couldn’t make it to the ceremony, but they sent their sword Sting to help us cut the cake (and didn’t even ask us to save them a slice! Too bad – it was an excellent cake.)
Consider yourself tagged, and play along!
I SWEAR, we're related. Just off the top of my head, let's see:
Never go up against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line! ****
Hokie religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. ****
Water? Thank you, no. Fish make love in it. ****
Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke. And some dry white toast. ****
The Lone Ranger's Nephew's horse was named Victor. Everybody knows that! ****
Did you bring your broomstick? No. Well, you'll have to walk, then! ****
The problems of two people don't amount to a hill of beans in this world. ***
These new girls don't use birth control…and they eat all the steak! ****
What ELSE floats in water? Bread! Castles! Very small rocks! …a DUCK.
ahahaha…good times. 😀
Oh, yeah, those movies are classics! (I LOVE Some Like it Hot!)
I'd have to add "Caddyshack" since it's kind of a like a family movie where everyone throws around quotes.
I'm shocked and amazed to see the Princess Bride on here! 🙂
I thought I was the only one who remembers Breaking Away. Cutters Rule!
Ri – I love that you went for some of the less obvious quotes; that totally establishes geek cred. And the fact that you had a line from Almost Famous in there at all makes me think you might be on to something about the whole "related" thing…
Jennifer – "Nice hat! Does a cup of soup come with that? Oh, but it looks good on you, though." We throw Caddyshack lines around here too :-).
Mike – No, you're not…the only one who remembers Breaking Away, OR shocked to see The Princess Bride on this list :-D!
Hmmm…well I will give you 5 of mine:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Little Mermaid
Last of the Mohicans
and yeah, I'll admit to Titanic!
Lenore – I feel better now that I have company on Titanic. Wait, that sounds wrong…are we all going down with the ship now :-)?
Eternal Sunshine… was a good one too. Strange, but good.
I did this on FB (I'm on there as Jeanne Griggs) and I'm hugely amused that your list consists of all the movies I either didn't put on because everyone who knows me well would think of them ANYWAY or the ones I thought of next (16, 17, etc.)
Aw, great list. Titanic, Christmas Story, etc. Classics! Monty Python!! Gotta love it. 🙂 I did this on Facebook- it's a fun one!
Jeanne – Now I'm thinking that I should look for you on Facebook and find out which movies actually did make your list :-)!
Marie – It was fun, once I decided to quit stressing over it and just make the list already :-).
I'm on FB under "Jeanne Griggs"! Feel welcome!