Thanksgiving, or as it’s popularly known, “Turkey Day,” – unless you’re my son, and you call it “Gorgefest” – is next Thursday (unless you’re Canadian and you celebrated it last month). It seems like the right time for Ten on Tuesday to broach the topic of “10 Things You’re Thankful For This Year.”
The big things – my husband and family, my health, a roof over our heads, continued employment – are the things I try to appreciate every day, and that I’m thankful for every year. Therefore, I think I’m going to devote this list to some of my smaller, although no less significant and meaningful, appreciations. In no particular order, as you will probably be able to tell:
- The people who make me laugh – my husband and my sister are on the top of that list
- Our new house – home for the next eighteen months, and hopefully longer
- Literacy. I cannot imagine my life without the ability and opportunity to read and write.
- My tenth anniversary with my dog! She still doesn’t look, or really act, close to her age, either.
- The opportunity to expand my writing outlets, and get to know some terrific women, through the Los Angeles Moms Blog
- My new favorite radio station
- Everyone who reads here, whether a subscriber or a sometime visitor, and especially those of you who take the time to comment!
- The change that has come to America – while it might not turn out to be to everyone’s liking, it will be different, and hopefully will move us in a more positive direction
- Even though there were times when I really wanted to, I didn’t give up on myself when I turned 40 – almost halfway through that decade, it’s shaping up as one of my very best!
- While I’m NOT thankful that he won’t be with us for Christmas, I am very glad my son made the almost-last-minute decision to come to California for Thanksgiving! (I’m also thankful he has a good job and can afford the plane tickets :-D.) It will be a short visit, but better than not seeing him at all this year!
Are you working on your own “thankful” list? I’d love to have you share some of the things on it in the comments!
What a great post. I hope you find even more things to be thankful for next year.
I’m going to give this topic some thought over the next couple of days and let you know when I post my list.
At the moment I am most thankful for Discovery Kids channel and their block of shows between 9 and 11:30 AM. My 2 1/2 year old loves the shows and sings, dances, tries to read… bliss.
Kathy (Bermudaonion) – That’s a great wish – the same to you :-)!
Kylee – I think many of us moms have been thankful for kids’ TV at one time or another, and I will look forward to reading your list.
What a wonderful, list, Florinda. It’s been a rough year for me, but I certainly am thankful for many things (and people). 🙂
For my family (they have to put up with me after all), still having a job so far, having people actually come to my blog too, and M&M's. 🙂
Glad your son is able to make it home.
Your list is great! I like your #3. I wouldn’t know what to do if I didn’t have my local library and all the books I can read. Take Care!!
I love your list…you put into black and white things we all take for granted.
Wendy (Literary Feline) – In my experience, those rough years are when it’s most important – and most challenging – to be thankful for the things and people that help us get through it all.
Mike – I’m really glad he’ll be here too! I wish he’d decided a little further in advance, but that’s OK. And I keep seeing “still having a job” on people’s lists this year.
(Side note – Wendy and Mike are probably my most regular commenters here, and I am especially thankful for them!)
Sherrie – I’m more of a bookstore girl than a library lover, but I live to read!
That Girl – That was my goal :-). Thanks!
Literacy is a great one, a blessing that I have taken for granted.
I see on your sidebar that you have Librarything. I am on Good Reads. I’m hoping that it will be a good way to network with other readers. One thing I like about it is the book suggestions automatically generated.
Joyce – I’m on GoodReads too, actually, but I use LT more. GoodReads is stronger at networking, I think, but I find keeping track of my books easier on LibraryThing.
My list is up.
Why, yes I am working on my thankful list! Stay tuned…
And I know you’ll have a great Thanksgiving!
April – I will look forward to reading your list :-).