“Reading challenges” are very popular among many of the book bloggers, but I’ve decided they’re not for me. Even though most of the challenges I’m aware of don’t require reading particular titles, they usually involve a specific genre or category, as well as a minimum number of books to be read. And since I’ve made the somewhat discouraging discovery that I’m not actually reading as much as I thought I was in the first place, I don’t think I’d be able to keep up the pace; nor would I really like having most of my reading choices be dictated by the rules of a challenge. (If I’m only going to make it through 40 books a year, I’d like to pick most of them out myself, with the periodic book-club selection mixed in.) I may change my mind about them one day, but at this point I’m just not up for it.
I’ve just learned of another challenge that I’m not up for either, but if you’re a particularly ambitious blogger, you might be interested in joining Blog365, aka “NaBloPoMo x 12.” It’s exactly what it sounds like – post every day in 2008, except for February 29 (since 2008 actually has 366 days).
– Blog every day for 365 days.
– Feb.29th is a Free Day and will be the Blog365 day of rest!
(Thanks Leap Year)
– You do not HAVE to post to the same blog as long as you post everyday.
– No internet? Write your post locally and post it once you are back on the grid.
– Computer Broken? Grab some paper and do some old school blogging.
– A post is a post, not everything has to be in writing. Photos, YouTube videos, and the like are all considered content.
One month of festivities is quite enough for me, and since blogging has threatened to take over my family, my job, and my life on several occasions this past year, I think I’d better opt out of this particular challenge and wait till November. I just thought I’d help spread the word. If you decide to make the commitment, good luck, and your readers will look forward to seeing you every day!